The Census Records of Elbert County, Georgia, 1820-1860 and Wilkes County, Georgia, 1850
By: Irene S. Wilcox, Pub. 1979, reprinted, 2020,146 pages, ISBN #0-898308-155-8.
Wilkes County was created in 1777 from the northern part of St. Paul’s Parish. This land was acquired from the Creek & Cherokee Indians in payment for debts owed to Indian Traders. It is the parent county, in whole or part, for: Elbert, Greene, Hart, Lincoln, Madison, Oglethorpe, Taliaferro and Warren. Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County. It lies in the Northeastern portion of the state along the Savannah River just across from Anderson and Abbeville Counties, South Carolina. The first settlers started arriving in the area from Virginia and the Carolina's and continued on as land grants were being issued from service in the Revolution War. The 1820 census lists 1078 Heads of household; the 1830 some 1080; the 1840 some 961; the 1850 some 1180 and the 1860 census a total of 911 Heads of household in Elbert County. The 1850 Wilkes County Census has some 734 Heads of Household.