St. Mark’s Parish, Santee Circuit, and Williamsburg Township, South Carolina 1731-1885, Chronicles of.
By: James M. Burgess, Pub. 1888, Reprinted 1991, 108 pages, soft cover, ISBN #0-89308-458-1.
A capsule historical overview of the evolution of churches in S.C., their founders, ministers, prominent laymen and women. The author uniquely interweaves the ecclesiastical background in brief sketches of his wife’s ancestral churches for the benefit of their children, Biographical sketches and detailed St. Mark’s Parish church activities update the history since circa 1681 when the first Episcopal church was built in Charleston, the creation of St. Mark’s Parish by Act of Assembly, 21 May 1757, & through the Revolutionary War.