Culpeper County, Virginia, Genealogical and Historical Notes on. Embracing a revised and Enlarged Edition of Dr. Phillip Slaughter’s History of St. Mark’s Parish.
By: R.T. Green, Pub. 1900, reprinted 1996, 322 pages, Hard Cover, Index, ISBN #0-89308-468-9.
Culpeper County was created from the northern part of Orange county in 1749. Culpeper County itself gave birth to two new counties: 1793 to Madison and 1833 to Rappahannock. This book starts out with the organization of the Parish, which then leads into the Vestry Minutes of the Parish. In addition, among other information provided including the Germanna Settlement, are lists of Colonial Militia, Revolutionary War Pensioners, Civil War musters, marriage records from 1781 to 1825 and will abstracts from 1749 to 1821. A major portion of this book is devoted to detailed genealogies of many of the early families of the county such as: Ashby, Ball, Barbour, Broaddus, Brown, Browning, Bryan-Lillard, Carter, Cave, Clayton, Coleman, Conway, Cooke, Field, Fry, Garnett, Glassell, Green, Grinnan, Henry-Winston, Hill, Jones, Lamon, Lillard-Bryan, Littlepage, Madison, Mason, Micou, Pendleton, Rice, Slaughter, Somerville, Spotswood, Stevens, Stevenson, Strother, Taylor, Thom, Thomas, Thompson, Williams, Winston-Henry, Woodville, and Yancey, all of which are filled with extremely detailed genealogies and dates with some going back as many as five generations.